Of the map...

Of the map...

lørdag den 29. maj 2010

In the search of wildlife

The other weekend I went of hiking in the surrounding mountains in the search of a bit of wild life. I’ve recently received a nature guide book and so I thought it fun to try to track down some of all these amazing life forms that the book advertised for. Spring has finally made it to Nuuk and although it is far from any kind of spring I’ve experienced before at least it has made most of the snow disappear. The smaller mountains are therefore rather easy to hike in if one just wears sensible shoes and stick to the tracks.

So, I found my fairly sensible shoes, packed a small bag with necessary essentials such as water, camera, mobile phone and a light snack and off I went in search of a track. (Of course no sense in bringing a map, compass, an extra sweater or stuff like that...)

After 3 hours of huffing and puffing up and down cliffs and rocks getting my feet wet from irritating spring creeks and huge areas of wetland I had not managed to track down a single life form worth a picture. Everything out there is just brown, dead and boring. Sure the view’s nice and the air is fresh but I can get that from just sitting on my terrace enjoying my sea view. No need to climb up a cliff with a waterfall or climbing over huge rocks with supporting yourself on all fours... No thanks.

In the end I’d almost given up but at last I found something – a greenish looking plant that looked fairly alive and two ducks looking very much out of place in a mountain lake.



So much for Greenland being a land of wildlife!

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar